About Allison Island
Once a clearing in the Indian Creek waterway known as Crocodile Hole, after the menacing creatures that roamed its waters, Allison Island eventually filled that hole. Straddling 63rd Street, west of Collins Avenue, the island was named after Jim Allison, friend and business partner of Miami Beach co-founder, Carl Fisher.
In 1926 Allison commissioned architect August Geiger to build the luxurious Mediterranean Revival-style Allison Hospital there, which the Sisters of St. Francis soon took over and modernized. Coming full-circle, local developer/art collector Craig Robins purchased the 8.5-acre former site of St. Francis Hospital (where he was born) and created Aqua, a private community of three condominium buildings and 46 town homes built on New Urbanism principles.
Designed by nine acclaimed architects, the units, fetching million-dollar prices, have sold quickly since completion in 2005. Across from Aqua is Allison Road, a street surrounded by 50 houses built from the 1930s on, all of which border Indian Creek and range in the low millions.